Worcester Public Library
The Salem Square branch of the Worcester Public Library was founded in 1859 by Dr. John Green. The library’s current building constructed in 1964, had exterior webs and columns featuring the “bush-hammered”effect, a once popular finish for exposed concrete. When renovations began in 1999, some of the concrete showed signs of spalling, corrosion of reinforcing steel, and water entry. Conproco worked with the design team from Tappe Associates to formulate and implement a system of repair materials that would offer long-term protection for the concrete, while softening the harsh look of the original finish. Once the concrete had been pressure washed, it was treated with Conpro Start consolidant. Patching was done with Conpro Set repair mortar. Plastermix, a Portland Cement based resurfacing material (used for filling surface irregularities), was then applied by trowel and floated to a fine texture. After 14 days of curing, two coats of Conpro Lastic elastomeric coating were applied for weather protection and color consistency.