Danville State Hospital
Danville State Hospital was constructed in 1869. Dr. Thomas S. Kirkbride developed a building design for asylums which optimized light, ventilation, and each patient’s view. Danville’s main building consists of a central structure of exposed serpentine stone, with two primary wings constructed of stucco covered schist, all with brownstone accents. C & D Waterproofing stripped all areas of deteriorated and delaminated stucco back to the original substrate. Conpro One Coat was applied directly to the substrate, without the need for expanded wire mesh. Conpro One Coat may be applied in thicker lifts than traditional stucco, making it the ideal material to replace the original scratch and brown coats. A finish coat of Conpro Stucco was applied to provide a uniform finish. The stucco restoration was completed with two coats of an acrylic elastomeric paint. The brownstone accents were repaired with MIMIC, which was slightly overbuilt and then shaved to achieve the same surface texture as the original stone.