231 Madison Avenue was constructed in 1852 for banker
Anson Phelps Stokes. The freestanding Anglo-Italianate
brownstone home is perhaps the last of its kind in
New York City, and features additions designed by architect
R.H. Robertson. Today, 231 Madison Avenue is part of
The Morgan Library & Museum complex. Inside the library
walls are 350,000 celebrated treasures from the collections
of J.P. Morgan Sr., including: three Gutenberg Bibles,
Rembrandt etchings, and the original manuscript of
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Brownstone had
chipped away from the structure in numerous places.
Window ledges, railings, water tables, columns, decorative
pieces, and a balcony edge showed considerable wear.
Due to time constraints, Matrix repair mortar was selected
because of the capability to match color on-site. The original
profiles and shape were recreated to maintain the classic
stonework and resurfaced areas of Matrix were painstakingly
brought to a smooth texture with steel finishing tools.
Time Frame – Fall 2005 - Fall 2006
Beyer, Blinder, Belle,
New York, NY
The Grenadier Corporation,
Long Island City,